Central Africa disaster risk reduction (DRR) platform
A session organized to allow for Post-HFA consultations during the DRR sub regional platform co-organized by ECCAS and ISDR Africa. The conclusions of this first consultation were:
• Since some countries in Central Africa started the implementation of the HFA as late as 2009, it was recommended that the Post-HFA framework takes this in to account. It was suggested that the Post-HFA recommends the continuity of HFA, and add new priorities and objectives to the new Post 2015 framework.
• It was agreed that the Post-HFA consultations should be an opportunity to, (i) accelerate the HFA implementation, and (ii) improve HFA reporting. Two targeted countries will start the consultations before the planned DRR regional platform to be held in the first quarter 2013.
• Consultations will be conducted using the National Platforms which will be extended to Key players, universities, and active partners in DRR and resilience.
• ECCAS will summarize the two consultations and will present a ‘paper’ to the DRR regional platform to contribute to a wider paper that will be presented by the AUC in the next Global Platform in May 2012.
• Consultations will continue with more countries in 2013, using different opportunities such as meetings organized by Environment, Agriculture, Forestry, Health sectors and DRR platforms, both at National and regional level.
• ECCAS will present a final paper to the Ministerial Meeting planned to be held in 2014 to be considered as contribution for AFRICA’s holistic position towards Post-HFA.